About 40 students have been confirmed dead, 67 Injured In Potiskum, Yobe School Blast following a Monday morning suicide bomb attack on assembling students at the Government Senior Science Secondary School, Potiskum, Yobe State, North East Nigeria.
According to Channels TV,
The State Commissioner of Education, Mohammed Lamin, who confirmed the incident on Monday, said that 33 students were killed in the blast while 67 others sustained injuries but the figure has since risen to over 40.
Of the 67, according to him, 41 had been referred to the two teaching hospitals in Nguru and Azare in Yobe and Bauchi State respectively.
As a measure to curb re-occurrence and peace in the area, the Commissioner said that all schools in Potiskum have been closed down pending the improvement of the security situation.
The State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Markus Danladi, who visited Potiskum town with Mr Lamin could not be allowed to the scene of the blast by angry mob who resisted any entrance to the area attacked by the bomber.
The CP who could not go to the scene of the blast for security reasons said that all security personnel had to stay away from the scene of the blast for the sake of peace. Rather, he visited the two Emirs in Potiskum to commiserate with them over the sad incident and to seek for their cooperation in the maintenance of law and order.
The CP called on the Emirs to educate their subjects on the importance of security personnel at this critical time and sought the support of the people towards fighting terrorism.
The Chairman, State Council of Chiefs, Mohammadu Abali Ibn Idrisa, who is the Emir of Fika and his Potiskum counterpart, Umaru Bubaram Ibn Wuriwa Bauya, told the CP that they have mobilised some elders in their respective jurisdiction to educate the mob on the need for peace and to allow the security men do their work.
Monday’s attack came one week after a bomber blew off some Muslim faithful who were carrying out a procession in commemoration of Ashura day also in Potiskum the commercial city of Yobe state.
The leader of the Shia group in Potiskum Yobe State, Mustapha Lawan Nasidi, had last week after the blast that killed his members, accused the military of opening fire on his men killing several people.
It is against such accusation that the people of Potiskum rejected the presence of security personnel in the rescue operation of the students.
Potiskum town remained calm and deserted as a result of the early morning blast. Many people could not come out for their normal businesses.
Potiskum the largest commercial town in the state has had its fair share of terrorists attack since the commencement of Boko Haram insurgency.
Meanwhile, the State Governor, Ibrahim Gaidam, has condemned the Potiskum attack, describing it as callous and barbaric.
He called on the security agencies to continue to continue to work hard towards curbing the menace.
In a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media, Abdullahi Bego, the Governor prayed Almighty to grant the soul of the deceased eternal rest and the families the courage to bear the loss.
The statement noted that the State government would foot the bills of the medical expenses of those in the hospital.